Friday, 10 June 2011

It’s all 6’s and 7’s to me.

Don’t know how it happens, but I can remember the essence of something but not always where it came from and when. Perhaps it’s thanks to that wonderful quote of Albert Einstein’s, that you should never commit to memory anything you can read in a book ;) Thankfully when I’m doing my research I write everything down and leave nothing to chance.

Whatever the case, I can recall the crux of something John C. Maxwell said probably two years ago in a Joyce Meyer magazine. What he was getting at is that in terms of how we perform, we live our lives on a scale of 1 to 10. For example, I might be a 7 or 8 at writing but only a 3 or 4 at art, yet I might be a 5 or 6 at servicing cars (I am definitely a minus 1 at kung-fu, but I do know Pastor Brian Houston of Hillsong church can enlighten one as to how best to knock down a door at the top of a stairwell).


I digress J

JCM says that if you cut back on improving whatever you’re a 3 or 4 at and spend that time improving and refining your 7s and 8s, you would almost certainly see your 7s and 8s become 9s and 10s, and even pouring a little more energy into those 5s and 6s can be very worthwhile. Adversely, devoting your time to something you love but aren’t necessarily gifted in (those 2s, 3s and 4s) can produce frustration and struggle, and you may only ever amount to a 5 or 6 at best, with time and energy (and money) spent that could have made you better in that other area.

Since I dropped my “4” (in spite of my love for it), my “7” has improved so wonderfully that I can’t understand why I didn’t do it earlier! God totally blessed that commitment and I was literally left gobsmacked at my productivity in that area. Know what you are, and also what you’re not. Most importantly, be prepared to use it so you don’t lose it.

Lastly, here’s a tweet by Dan Rockwell, @Leadershipfreak extraordinaire: Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do. John Wooden

Decide: What is eating up your productivity and causing you frustration? What area in life could you pour more effort into and see encouraging results? NB: You can’t drop your family because they make you work, but you CAN kick their butts and make them help you ;) Heaven knows sometimes I need my butt kicked, too ;)

“Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labour in vain.” Psalm 127a
Si l’Eternel ne bâtit la maison, en vain les bâtisseurs travaillent.

No comments:

Post a Comment