Monday, 27 June 2011

Tongue-in-Cheek Syndrome

You could say I’m fairly new to Twitter, and I’m even newer to blog posts. Suffice it to say I am enjoying both immensely (though occasionally feel a little ‘spammed’ and would rather read six decent Tweets in 24 hrs than a barrage of ones I skip over like a rusty section in a novel so I can get to the part I like). It’s a good lesson for me on what not to write ;)

One tweet caught my attention recently by @agentgame:
“Dead on about sample pages. RT @arcaedia: new query post - yes, still open to queries, and what 5 pages does not equal http://bit.ly/m6BCN6

Naturally I clicked the link to read more. It led to a page explaining an agent’s submission guidelines. The tongue-in-cheekness of agents will never cease to amuse me. I’ve learned that the writing world is much like the music industry. Thick skin is required. The dry humour of agents is necessary because they get it all!

Some writers don’t take too kindly to being taken down a peg or three. It’s best not to be too precious about one’s work, and agents are worth listening to because they’re the go-between listening to the publishers who listen to the book sales and have their finger on the pulse.

As I read the above link/page’s contents, it occurred to me that even though I’m not where I want to be, I’m not where I used to be. For example, I know what a query is, whereas once I never knew I even needed one. Faced with the insurmountable mount of knowledge, it’s encouraging to reflect I’ve done some miles since I first began this trip and am growing.

One thing I’m guaranteed in the blogs and tweets I follow, I’m never afraid to ask and will never be made to feel like a dork for asking. Surely the patience of those in the know is as valuable as their knowledge. I am soooo grateful for both!

Decide: Are you precious? Often our words and characters are our babies. If someone bruises your ego, can you separate the difference of who you are from what you do?

A person finds joy in giving an apt reply—
   and how good is a timely word! Proverbs 15:23

Savoir donner la bonne réponse est une source de joie,
      et combien est agréable une parole dite à propos.

No comments:

Post a Comment