Monday, 1 August 2011

What if we were real?

There's a song going around at the moment by Mandisa called What If We Were Real. For me, there's times I'm avoiding the blogs and tweets because that's what it feels like to me. They feel like a fantastic show and tell session, a gigantic horn-blowing for individual kind. It seems like no one's in the world anymore for anybody except themselves. Peeps are in such hot pursuit of their own dreams that their expression of love for other people falls by the wayside.

When was the last time you made time for your friends? I had a girl come for coffee this morning with her two boys who are still tiny darlings. She struggles with these difficult years when it seems like the butt-changing and toilet training is never going to end, when the husband offers the advice but not the help, when it seems like you're the only one doing anything because there's so dang much of everything to do, and you can't get out of the house except for groceries and fuel.

Motherhood as well as life can be isolating even in a room crowded full of friends. Friends who might as well be a man on the moon for all the genuine relationship going on. Freinds who promise to call and have coffee, or who say, 'We should get together'.

Yes, You should.

How hard is it to cancel something we deem of utmost importance in order to fit in the truly necessary? When we get to heaven, God won't be asking how well we maintained our house, our car, our yard, or our bikini line. He's going to be interested in what we did with our life and our fellow man. How perfect or capable we sought to appear will be ultimately confronted.

This week, I challenge you to rise to the best occasion and cancel one of your YOU appointments to meet with a friend who might need your relationship. The world is starved for love. Ask God who He might have in mind for you to drop everything for and go see. Be available. Be loving. Be there.

Decide: Could there even be someone under your very own roof who needs you? Could it even be God? Chances are, He might need you to be available to your 'neighbour'.

"“Who am I working for? Why am I giving up so much pleasure now?” It is all so meaningless and depressing.
Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble. Likewise, two people lying close together can keep each other warm. But how can one be warm alone? A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken." Ecclesiastes 4v8b-12

«Pour qui donc est-ce que je travaille si dur? Pour qui est-ce que je me prive de bonnes choses?» Cela aussi est dérisoire; c'est un mal affligeant. Mieux vaut être à deux que tout seul. On tire alors un bon profit de son travail. Et si l'un tombe, l'autre le relève, mais malheur à celui qui est seul et qui vient à tomber sans avoir personne pour l'aider à se relever. De même, si deux personnes dorment ensemble, elles se tiennent chaud, mais comment celui qui est seul se réchauffera-t-il? Un homme seul est facilement maîtrisé par un adversaire, mais à deux ils pourront tenir tête à celui-ci. Et une corde à triple brin n'est pas vite rompue.

4 comments:

  1. I'm away from home for three weeks. Just a few days ago I realized that what I missed most were four particular friends who just plain old love me. I hope they know I love them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly it's easy to give your time to the loveable, I gave my time to 4 different people today each needing something from me. One was harder to love than the others, I didn't give everything that was required or needed. we didn't "stand back-to-back and conqure"
    Only my King can help with this.
    "The best is yet to come, Hob" page 408 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giving time to the 'unlovely' is humbling. It makes me realise that even though I thought I was humble, there's chunks on the inside that still like to privately shout out my own importance. Created equal, God delights to use us. Sometimes we come up empty and feel unable to help anybody, but God is able to renew what's on the inside so we can keep being His conduits.
    Thanks for comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for making time to plan a visit with me. Have you read The Velveteen Rabbit? When ever anyone speaks of being real, this book pops into my head.

    ReplyDelete