Thursday, 29 September 2011

The God From Whom All Good Things Flow

After the last post which was about God making bad things happen, above and beyond the truth of that is the Bible's confirmation that He is indeed the God of all good things. The very foundation of us being here is His love for us. He created us for love, and to love Him, for relationship.

Relationships built on chaos generally aren't much fun. It's far better to be in a loving, two-way place of response and communication, and God  longs to bless us and show us His unending kindness. If ever you forget why you're here and the day seems too long, too hard, too bad to ever end, remind yourself of a few facts from His Word.

Platitudes don't last, but the Word of the Lord stands forever.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." Psalm 86v15

"For You, O Lord, are good, and ready to forgive [our trespasses, sending them away, letting them go completely and forever]; and You are abundant in mercy and loving-kindness to all those who call upon You." Psalm 86v5 AMP

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1v17 (so good they said it twice!)

"For He foreordained us (destined us, planned in love for us) to be adopted (revealed) as His own children through Jesus Christ, in accordance with the purpose of His will [ because it pleased Him and was His kind intent]--..." Ephesians 1v5

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile." Jeremiah 29v11-14

Jeremiah 29 is a favourite and it's easy to undertand why. The God Who made us does have a good plan for His created. Even when all material things are not going according to our plan, we can still know the most amazingly insane, incomprehensible peace and love and even joy in the midst of the biggest troubles we've ever faced.

God's love is astounding, and most days (for me) the proof of that is found in His mercy. I just don't understand it yet He offers it completely. God's grace makes my spirit man fall out in dead faints of awe on the days my words have been harsh, when my actions have been disrespectful, when I behave like someone better left out on a Monday night for the garbage man to collect in the morning with the Green Bin. Why should He love me or keep being good to me? How I wish I could just be presentable, but even if I was, my goodness and righteousness would be as valuable to Him as stinky rags.

God's amazing ways are too numerable to list, but they are there in His Word for all to see and embrace. Ah, what treasures lie within the covers! Whatever you need He can supply and will do so in accordance with His will. No wonder they call Him the Alpha & Omega. God covers everything in every way.

Even me :) Can't ask for more than that!

Decide: What do you love most about God? Is it time you paused long enough to tell Him?

"And having chosen them, he called them to come to him. And having called them, he gave them right standing with himself. And having given them right standing, he gave them his glory. What shall we say about such wonderful things as these? If God is for us, who can ever be against us? Since he did not spare even his own Son but gave him up for us all, won’t he also give us everything else? Who dares accuse us whom God has chosen for his own? No one—for God himself has given us right standing with himself. Who then will condemn us? No one—for Christ Jesus died for us and was raised to life for us, and he is sitting in the place of honor at God’s right hand, pleading for us" Romans 8v30-34

Et ceux qu'il a prédestinés, il les a aussi appelés; et ceux qu'il a appelés, il les a aussi justifiés; et ceux qu'il a justifiés, il les a aussi glorifiés. Que dirons-nous donc à l'égard de ces choses? Si Dieu est pour nous, qui sera contre nous? Lui, qui n'a point épargné son propre Fils, mais qui l'a livré pour nous tous, comment ne nous donnera-t-il pas aussi toutes choses avec lui? Qui accusera les élus de Dieu? C'est Dieu qui justifie!  Qui les condamnera? Christ est mort; bien plus, il est ressuscité, il est à la droite de Dieu, et il intercède pour nous!

2 comments:

  1. I stand amazed at his love. His mercy and lavish grace all stem from love. Scripture affirms that God Is love. He doesn't just love he is love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some days I really feel I SO don't deserve His love. But then, that's exactly the point, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete