Monday, 24 October 2011

Day 5: Island Interrupted

Ok, so you see a small diversion in the title plan. The wordsmith is me is alive after all. I couldn't help it ;)

On this day our menfolk left their ladyfolk beside the pool in search of adventure (wait, I want to come, too!!), and we watched our offspring enjoy the water and get in on some adventure of their own. To start out, we hung out in the room for a bit, and besides, it's too gorgeous not to enjoy. Remember that view I mentioned? It only got better and better with each passing day.

The kids' TV shows are pretty much what you'd find anywhere with one exception: Soccer brainwashing. There are cartoons exclusively about soccer in this country aimed at varying age groups and it's scary. Sport can be hazardous to one's health at the best of times, but will a kid sit there and watch two olderish men discuss an up-and-coming soccer match over a cafe table? Evidently, yes. Conversation between the various shows goes like this:

"Did you see the game last night?"
"I want to play for Malaysia!"
"I got a ball so I can practise properly."
"I'm going to watch England win."
"South Africa will beat them!"
"You're dreaming!"
"You just wait and see!"
etc, etc.

It's not just a cartoon. It's soccer indoctrination. Now I know why there are riots after games...


Back in the real world I was talking to one of the many gracious hosts working a kiosk near the pool and spotted the headline on the local daily newspaper: Beggar Throws Baby Into Sea. I pointed to it and perused the first few paragraphs and asked her to explain to me what it was all about. She said the woman (beggar) is an asylum seeker who cannot find work and because there are no prospects for her or her baby, she tossed him (about 16mo) into the sea. As authorities went after the baby and tried to capture the mother, she then threw herself into the sea.

Another headline showed a deceased man flat out on the concrete as police and medics were about to cover him up with a sheet. He'd jumped from the fourth floor and was having "personal problems" according to a neighbour. I was only slightly astonished at what other countries deem acceptable for front page images. But truly attention-getting was that while we were in this idyllic place with every whim catered to, not so far away were real people with problems the same in every country around the globe, and they're feeling the exact same emotions that life is bad and the badness is inescapable. In short, they have no hope.

I went back to the friends beside the pool and shared what I'd learned, not feeling guilty in the least for breaking into the beautiful reverie. My heart asked how different life on earth would be if only we listened to our Creator and did not ignore His ways or His plans for our lives. What if we used our freewill for choosing Him? How much more effective in my part of the Great Commission can I be?

Decide: Are the things that intrude on your moment the things you should pay more attention to? Where are you wasting time, and what things should you be saying no to in order to be fully effective for God's kingdom?


She gave this name to the LORD who spoke to her: “You are the God who sees me,” for she said, “I have now seen the One who sees me.” Genesis 16v13

Agar se demanda:
   ---Ai-je réellement vu ici même le Dieu qui me voit?
   Et elle appela l'Eternel qui lui avait parlé du nom de Atta-El-Roï (C'est toi le Dieu qui me voit).


Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28v18-20

Alors Jésus s'approcha d'eux et leur parla ainsi:
   ---J'ai reçu tout pouvoir dans le ciel et sur la terre: allez donc dans le monde entier, faites des disciples parmi tous les peuples, baptisez-les au nom du Père, du Fils et du Saint-Esprit et apprenez-leur à obéir à tout ce que je vous ai prescrit. Et voici: je suis moi-même avec vous chaque jour, jusqu'à la fin du monde.


And so where's the problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment