Thursday, 2 February 2012

The Mind of a Creative

As someone who lives on the creative side of life I do enjoy a good painting session, but like blogging, don't get to do much of it (maybe I need to work on that). Back at school I was in love with the works of Claude Monet (who wasn't?). I can't remember what fired off my search this morning but I wondered if perhaps he was a Christian. Monet lived in an age of enlightenment, where technology was peaking and evolution was the latest argument for mankind.

Whatever he believed, many of his quotes come with a poignant wisdom still applicable today. Some of the quotes I found this morning made me think of a writer's life, so if you're a pen-person try these on for size, and see if any ring true or make you think of what it's like to be a creative/writer...

“People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love.”

"For me, a landscape does not exist in its own right, since its appearance changes at every moment; but the surrounding atmosphere brings it to life - the light and the air which vary continually. For me, it is only the surrounding atmosphere which gives the subjects their true value.”

“My life has been nothing but a failure.”

File:Claude Monet 1899 Nadar crop.jpg
Claude Monet

“I would advise young artists . . . to paint as they can, as long as they can, without being afraid of painting badly . . . . If their painting doesn't improve by itself, it means that nothing can be done - and I wouldn't do anything!”

“No one is an artist unless he carries his picture in his head before painting it, and is sure of his method and composition.”

“I took your advice and managed to make some quite good things out of paintings I considered irredeemable.”

“I'm getting so slow at my work it makes me despair, but... I'm increasingly obsessed by the need to render what I experience, and I'm praying that I'll have a few more good years left to me...”

“No one but myself knows the anxiety I go through and the trouble I give myself to finish paintings which do not satisfy me and seem to please so very few others.”

“...I had so much fire in me and so many plans...”

“Colors pursue me like a constant worry. They even worry me in my sleep.”

“The point is to know how to use the colours, the choice of which is, when all's said and done, a matter of habit.”

For more of Claude's quotes , click the link and consider how much we admire the man who called himself 'a failure'. Think about what it means to be on the path of creativity and using the gift God placed in you, and remember what God says about you ;)

"God saw all that he had made, and it was very good.." Genesis 1v31

Dieu considéra tout ce qu'il avait créé, et trouva cela très bon.

1 comment: