Tuesday, 24 April 2012

Letters of The Week

Usually I don't read the newspaper but when I sit down and get into it (mostly because there's no other reading material in front of me) it's pretty enjoyable. Two weeks ago I was reading the paper everyday and one of the sections I found most insightful to character were the letters to the editor.


As is always the case, people have a lot to say, yet the best ones were the short ones (novelists take note) because they were straight to the point instead of flogging very dead horses.

I'm not up-to-date with the background of why the people wrote in, but the gist is more than easy to get. I'm presenting them here with the very same wording but withholding the writer's names and suburbs. Check these out...

Heather Shockman (Letters, 13/4) quotes Edmund Burke: "The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing". If they do nothing they are not good men. R.E. 

And my favourite...

Please ask Richard Dawkins to explain, in simple words I can understand, how Nothing exploded and turned into Everything. He seems able to grasp this concept but it is eluding me. J.P.

In an increasingly anti-Christian world, I loved these letters and their Ocker simplicity. You go, guys.


A discerning man keeps wisdom in view,
   but a fool’s eyes wander to the ends of the earth. Proverbs 17v24


L'homme avisé a les yeux fixés sur la sagesse,
      mais les regards de l'insensé se portent au bout du monde.



No comments:

Post a Comment