Monday, 11 June 2012

The Last Word... for today at least!

Lately we've been having a bit of a clean out and along the way I've come across the kind of things most people in the northern hemisphere put into a box and stow in an attic before heading off to college. It's fun, it's depressing, and most of all it's annoying (I hate wasting time).



No matter what it is, going through items long kept since childhood serves as a good reminder to keep eternity in sight. There's a verse that says to live our lives here on earth as strangers in reverent fear (and awe). It makes throwing things away much easier, because I'm reminded I can't take it with me. It also makes me more decisive on what to keep before I keep it.

Of all the things I have found today (the 1994 Far Side desktop calendar is going to the op-shop), I enjoyed coming across some quotes I wrote when I was about 14. Yes, I liked them that much. You just can't go past a good bit of wit.

Before I throw the book away, here are a few worth sharing...

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to.

If you pray for rain, don't forget your umbrella.

Good grooming makes anybody into a somebody and a person into a personality!

James Bond movie line:
"You have a bare chest."
"Yes, American girls like it."
"Old Japanese proverb says bird do not make nest in bare tree."

Jack Lemmon - "Failure doesn't hurt you. It's the fear of failure that is the killer."

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always had.

Advertisement on Hey, Hey It's Saturday: FOR SALE: shower chair for disabled person with adjustable legs.

Why don't people who believe in reincarnation leave all their money to themselves? Craig Charles, Liverpool

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.


"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me." 1 Corinthians 13v11





1 comment:

  1. My son Andrew loved his Far Side yearly calendars. They were a staple gift for several Christmases.

    ReplyDelete