Monday, 3 September 2012

The Cost of Living

When was the last time you felt relieved. I mean like really relieved—freed from a great burden and struggle for success? I’m not talking about running a billion dollar enterprise, but everyday life.


As I sat in my quiet spot after my morning read and felt refreshed over the things I prayed about and what God might be saying to me, my eyes drifted to all the book titles beside me on the shelf and it dawned on me almost all of them were about what I could do to make life work or to get success in some area.

Damn. There goes the light feeling of refreshment...

It’s times like this I feel good about writing fiction, about contributing to a world and genre that some openly consider to be a frivolous enterprise. Fiction is a necessary escape in a world that simply has to “do” or die trying. If you think work is part of the curse placed on man since the garden of Eden, think again. God made man to rule, to be fruitful, to increase, to work and to care (Gen 1-2 NIV). All these are verbs. Work was reality before the fall of man. The fall only made it harder, more laborious.

I have nothing against work yet when everything feels like an effort, one must force himself to stop and take stock, or very quickly be forced to stop and take stock. Over the last six weeks I’ve had an unforseen rough trot with my health thanks to a medical infusion that was supposed to help. Life came crashing down and we didn’t know why. I needed to stop, to give myself permission to rest, and only one verse gave me any relief when all else seemed like work.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.


I hope today, that amid life’s must-do’s and must-achieve’s and must-be’s you will find some rest in knowing Jesus doesn’t want your doing as much as your resting.

Jesus is saying here (Luke 10v20), “Don’t rejoice in your successful service for Me, but rejoice because of your right relationship with Me.” ~ Oswald Chambers

Don’t get so caught up in what the world would tell you is a formula for life that you forget or neglect the enjoyment and reality of your one Relationship that keeps everything else alive.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11v28-30

Venez à moi, vous tous qui êtes fatigués et courbés sous un fardeau, et je vous donnerai du repos. Acceptez mes exigences et laissez-vous instruire par moi, car je suis doux et humble de cœur, et vous trouverez le repos pour votre âme. En effet, mes exigences sont bonnes et mon fardeau léger.

No comments:

Post a Comment