Wednesday, 3 October 2012

Aunty's Wise Words

Earlier in the year I had a great long chat with my Aunt. She's been on the scene of my life since I was in the very early single digits. She's always been supportive of me and I couldn't ask for a better aunt. Recently we also realised I'm her only niece and she is my only aunt (even more exciting).



We share a number of similarities and among them is the tendancy to go with the flow when we'd really rather be doing something else. We've both been through the wringer in different ways and a recent text message she sent me contained these words:

"...just love everyone exactly where they're at. Everyone helps to remind me where I'm at. Attitude brings Altitude. Judging others is just judging myself. If something bothers me, it's a great indication of what's holding me back. This year I have particularly worked on speaking up rather than staying quiet and including rather than excluding, others..."

These words are easy to take as platitudes, and remind me of kitsch key lines from dynamic speaker conferences, but the poignant ring of truth to each phrase is a gem. I know she'll be reciting these words in her own mind repeatedly, and there are a few I'd love to put on my wall.

I'm praying her through her current hardships in the knowledge God can do anything, and in the meantime there's every day life while we wait for breakthroughs.

Break it down...

People will always let you know where you're at, when you've failed, when you're a disappointment. Do you love them anyway? Admittedly some peeps are harder to love than others in the face of discouragement.

If a good attitude brings you higher, where are you now?

Do you suffer from log-in-eye syndrome?

Is there a bee in your bonnet? Could it be what's stopping you from going forward?

Is it possible for you to speak the truth in love? Are you able to speak up when you ought to, or do you allow yourself to get steam-rolled and subsequently, frustrated?

Do you extend grace?

At the end of the day, it's a good thing God is bringing us to completion ;)


“[Praise to God for a Living Hope] Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,” 1 Peter 1:3

“[L’espérance du salut] Béni soit Dieu, le Père de notre Seigneur Jésus-Christ! Conformément à sa grande bonté, il nous a fait naître de nouveau à travers la résurrection de Jésus-Christ pour une espérance vivante...”

No comments:

Post a Comment