Thursday, 18 October 2012

No Fun - Part 1

Lately I've been reading a writing book by an author of renown. This guy is one amazing agent and his ideas are intense. When I started applying his advice to my current MS idea, brainstorming myself into infinity and beyond, suddenly I needed to pull back. The ideas were spiralling out of control into the realm of unbelievability.


Identity in Crisis?

Is this a bad thing? Not necessarily, however I couldn't help thinking of my market. I'm not writing a thriller, "just" a seriously good page-turner. The advice was fantastic, but writing was no longer fun. It was completely and utterly funless when it should at least be enjoyable. Following all this practical and advantageous advice left me feeling terribly formulaic.

I needed a grain of salt, and I needed to remember the real-time publishing confines of my chosen genre. It's not boring, it just ain't The Da Vinci Code.

Needing respite, I picked up my Bible and opened to Proverbs, selecting at random and landing in chapter 25. They say there's nothing new under the sun. I tell you what, every author at some point seems to have taken a leaf out of Proverbs. Writing advice is rife! It's everywhere once you know where to look. No wonder there's risk of major overload and brainiac meltdown.

We, as craftspeople seeking the original, need to remember who we are and know the genre we write for. Tips are all well and good, but there are people selling guidelines as be-all and end-all rules, and it's dangerous and can be confusing if you can't find the dividing line. Knowing your genre is so important.

I won't give up reading the amazing agent's book but I will take on the advice with a clear gaze. I want to improve, and I know the advice is very sound (and rocks!). So what do you do if the advice is all too much and you need to simplify? Check out part 2 shortly.


“Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.” Psalm 27:14

Espère en l’Eternel! Fortifie-toi et que ton cœur s’affermisse! Espère en l’Eternel!

No comments:

Post a Comment