Tuesday, 20 November 2012

In Sheep's Clothing by Susan May Warren

A darling young lady aboard the MV Doulos gave me this book at least three years ago, and I must admit it sat unread until last week, nestled comfortably in my exponentially tall, unread stack of 26 books. I was looking for something different, something with a bit of verve to break the sameness of my week. This was perfect.


You know I hate to reinvent the wheel, so go ahead and read the back page blurb here and also find the first chapter (woo-hoo!).

Published in 2005, it's great to see the ways a quality novel can truly withstand the test of time. This little ripper also deals with a topic close to my heart - salvation of the lost. Susan MW handles it so effortlessly. For the KC (key character) Gracie, it's almost a tangible pain for her to have not saved a single soul for the whole two years she's been in Russia (which would bug me, too), considering she arrived as a missionary and is about to head home.

From the moment I picked up the book the pedal was to the metal and I was racing through Russia like no other novel before. Guns, bad guys, car chases (joy), missionaries, betrayal, forgiveness, more bad guys, and of course there's the good guys. Did I love it? Oh yes!

What makes the deft handling even better and totally believable is that SMW lived in Russia for eight years. Presently I have a friend there in a missions capacity, and I know she would have loved this book. Everything she has mentioned rated a mention here, and this plausibility makes the story rock. The place and atmosphere can be felt - not to mention every Bond and Bourne film does come to mind a teency bit.

The tension (romantic and otherwise) between Gracie and Vicktor is cranking from word go, and anyone who knows anything about Christian fiction will wholeheartedly acknowledge SMW really knows how to write a guy from a guy's perspective (must have done about fifty marriage courses and now employs all she knows ;). Vicktor is a man's man, edgy and precise. His story is something wonderful when it finally comes out.

Be warned: it is a thriller. Just avoid the trouble and get the family take-out for dinner. It won't take you longer than five or six hours. SMW, you owe me many fingernails, and much sleep. Did my foot ever stop tapping? Just as well it was on the carpet or it'd have kept hubby awake :)

The beauty of this book is that there are two more that follow up on the lives of other characters. Do try and find them ;)


For he has not despised or disdained the suffering of the afflicted one;
he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help. Psalm 22v24

1 comment:

  1. Wow - I haven't seen a review for this book in years! You made me want to go back and read it again. Thank you for taking the time to read and post this kind review! Susie May

    ReplyDelete