Tuesday, 20 August 2013

Heart's in for the long haul

We were of the belief we would have her for a long while yet, but on the weekend our adorable orange butterfly lop CB left due to GI Stasis. It's a nasty condition rabbits can get that leaves them limp and lame very quickly - if you don't recognise the warning signs in time. CB was our first bunny, so we didn't know what to look for - and even if we did, the signs were actually so slight that we may not have noticed in time.



It's not nice to nurse a helpless bundle until the very end, especially when you know it could have been prevented... somehow, surely. It's not fun to embrace your grieving child or have her say, I just want her back, when you do, too. It's terrible to have the deep brown eyes of a pet in discomfort looking at you as you try to ease it, but nothing helps.

So, we have hearts to mend and two small baby bunnies to care for that CB left behind. One of them gave me a big licking session this afternoon, and if you know anything about bunnies, this is the biggest compliment and sign of affection a bunny can ever give and an enormous display of their trust. It blessed my grieving heart, and I could hardly wait to tell my eldest Valley about it, since CB technically belonged to her.

I can't get over the sudden nature of this loss, or how much CB's little presence had ingrained itself into our existence so soon. She never made a sound, except to listening ears...

Now she makes no sound at all, except in our hearts, from where she cannot be taken away.

Enjoy every experience as though it were new and fresh. Don't treat it like it will happen again. It may not.



 But as for me, I am poor and needy;
    come quickly to me, O God.
You are my help and my deliverer;
    Lord, do not delay.   Psalm 70v5


 

No comments:

Post a Comment